Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Welcome

I recently quit my day job. I have worked full time since 1993, fresh out of college and trying to save the world. Well, not really. I wanted to make a difference, even if it was for one person. I think I managed that. I was a caseworker in Brooklyn for kids in foster care, I was a hospital social worker for the pediatric crime victims unit at Bellevue, I was a therapist for Catholic Charities, I worked in cardiac surgery for a stint at Columbia. When I moved to Denver I knew I wanted to supervise and I loved doing that for 8 years. And then I was done.

I had a make a plan over several months how to transition from "working for the man" to working for myself. My father was self employed for most of my life - what I remember. I thought I could never live like that - not knowing how I was going to pay the bills. But once I started digging around, I realized I had the key already. I worked in Child Welfare, I am a subject matter expert in child welfare, trauma, and therapy. I am also a painter and studied art in a specialized High school and in college as well as going to classes at the Art Student's League of NY. Everyone said, "you should be an art therapist." I thought I needed to go back to school. I was wrong!

I am already a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, and an artist. I had joined a mobile painting party company in the fall for fun - to get out and meet people and "teach" them painting by showing the group how to do a painting from start to finish. Easy right? You'd be amazed at how anxious people would get. They think it's funny when they say "I suck at this," but I was stunned by these reactions. It felt like part of my work was helping people overcome psychological barriers to be able to say, "I am making something nice," instead of being self deprecating. So I started some groups at work, with caseworkers, making mixed media paintings that were meant to reflect who they are and how they cope with their difficult jobs. Amazing art was created!

So I began applying for contracts and to serve Medicaid clients (for child welfare). In talking to people I found that there are few child therapists who really know this population and fewer still who do art therapy, let alone directive, trauma informed play therapy. I am not a playmate, I am a therapist.

While I am still advertising myself as a clinical supervisor (for those who want to consult or get license hours), I still feel the need to make a wider impression, to make that difference for children, for their parents, for people who have been harmed and want to heal. So the blog was born. I don't write it for money or fame, but I am never opposed to money... let's just be honest. Starting out is scary - there's no weekly check that gets mailed out automatically unless I have CLIENTS.

Be sure to check out my website: www.aliceriley.net

thanks for reading!  Comments are welcome - next topic: COUNTERTRANSFERENCE!

No comments:

Post a Comment